" In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again"

Arthur C. Clarke Against the Fall of Night

Thursday, March 7, 2019

New Arrivals, an absurdly large purchase, Pulp Sf on DVD's



Readers of this blog will know I purchase a lot of books. Two events have lead me to place a couple of big orders recently, the latest and largest of which I photographed this morning. First I reorganized the the spare bedroom that houses my main collection of science fiction and weird literature, it is quite full. The second was my recent cataract surgery. I have had fairly aggressive cataracts for two years, and been waiting for surgery for 16 months. This did impact my hobbies of bird watching, photography and reading. This also meant my wife and I have not traveled as much as we might have otherwise done. So I wanted to celebrate my surgery, which seems to have gone well. I am also very grateful that I had a condition that was correctable through a very standard procedure. Thank you Helen for weeks of administering lots of different eye drops to a wimpy patient.



After accessing the collection I wanted to add a few things, some favourite authors, themes, and illustrators, including aliens, robots, rockets, and authors like Dick, Simak, Van Vogt, Wyndham, Lanier and Lymington.  I also added some magazines from the 1950's, when I was born, to see the state of the world through the science fiction (admittedly, mainstream, and NA centric) of this period. I plan to slow down my acquisitions, probably (or at least trying to) limit my purchases to what I find in local used book stores and otherwise simply enjoy what I have.

I recently purchased a dvd of pdf's of some earlier issues of Weird Tales, which does contain some science fiction. While I would have liked more of the earliest issues, there was a good selection. Since the same vendor sells a lot of science fiction magazines on dvd, and since the coverage of the earliest issues seems better, I purchased a number of them. I think having these available, and having access to more stuff than I can possibly read will cut down on my purchases of science fiction magazines at least.

While I normally attribute cover artists I will not attempt it here. I plan on creating individual posts for a number of these items, and I will identify the cover artist, wherever possible at that time. Unlike Scrooge McDuck I will try to avoid piling everything in the middle of the floor and screaming, mine all mine. A strange definition of wealth but it works for me.

Happy Reading
Guy 

No comments:

Post a Comment