" In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again"

Arthur C. Clarke Against the Fall of Night

Sunday, May 20, 2018

The Experimental History of Scifi Book Covers (Plus Crime Covers Link)


One of Frank R. Paul's beautiful alien ecosystems,
from the back cover of Amazing Stories for Aug. 1941.

In my previous post discussing Moorcook's essay on Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 I mentioned how much I love these overviews of SF authors, illustrators and their works. Here is another from io9 a video on (The Experimental History of Scifi Book Covers) put together by Nerdwriter?


A selection of covers by Frank R. Paul

Some of my favourite publishers and illustrators are discussed, including Frank R. Paul, Richard Powers, and the myriad artists who worked for Penguin books over the years. I am still disappointed that our trip to London generated no covers by Alan Aldridge, but just like yesterday's link I was again compelled to return to my shelves and see what I could find.


Two Paul Lehr covers, Entropy is by Fernando Fernandes.


Two Richard Powers covers, the Penguin is by Brian Kneale

https://io9.gizmodo.com/this-video-explores-the-experimental-history-of-scifi-b-1826165627

And an added bonus: 
Celebrating the Artists Who Illuminated Classic 

Crime  (Warning pretty sexist stuff, the pulp roots show)

http://crimereads.com/12-cover-artists-every-vintage-crime-lover-should-know/

p://crimereads.com/12-cover-artists-every-vintage-crime-

2 comments:

  1. I have a soft spot for Frank R. Paul's bizzaro pulp visions...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joachim

    As you can probably tell I really like the alien environments he did for the back covers. I felt he could really cut loose in them.

    Thanks for commenting.
    Guy

    ReplyDelete