" In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again"

Arthur C. Clarke Against the Fall of Night

Tuesday, May 8, 2018

New Arrivals including Leinster, Schmidt, Herbert, Cherryh, Harrison among others

A trip to Fair's Fair Used Books, one of Calgary's last used bookstores (with the closing of Cabin Fever Books this month) was very fruitful.

Cherryh is one of the few SF writers my wife and I have met and she was a huge presence in our reading in the 1980's. Cover by Rego, Book Club edition.


In my last post I mentioned how happy I was to have obtained Living Way Out with a cover by Ron Walotsky. This cover by Ron for the Book Club Edition of Cherryh's Forty Thousand in Gehenna is beautiful but in a very different style.


Some larger format Analogs.


This issue, cover by John Schoenherr contains "Gunpowder God" which was expanded by H. Beam Piper into one of Doug and my favourite Piper novels  Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen.


This issue, cover by John Schoenherr contains the conclusion of Frank Herbert's "Dune World"


Above, this issue, cover by John Schoenherr contains 
one of Schmitz's Telzey Amberdon stories.

Below, a John Schoenherr cover for one of Leinster's 
Med Ship stories.


Earlier, I mentioned how happy I was to get a copy of the SFBC edition of Foundation. It was the centre piece of many of the SF book club ads I had seen in my older books and magazines and it really struck a chord. When I saw this Analog with the Kelly Freas cover for William R. Burkett's Sleeping Planet, an image I have seen reproduced many times, I really had a similar feeling, that my collection had taken on a whole new shape and significance for me. 


Another Book Club edition, cover by Jerry LoFano.


And some things are just beautiful, like these interior illustrations by Bill Sanderson. I will be looking for West of Eden.







SF does not get much more whimsical 
than the illustration below. Someone experiencing
the Golden Age of Science Fiction, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment