" In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again"

Arthur C. Clarke Against the Fall of Night

Thursday, November 10, 2016

A survey of Time Travel in Science Fiction / Reading, Collecting and Writing Science Fiction



My wife sent me two links I want to share. The first a review of Time Travel: A History by James Gleick, by John Lancaster in the New York Review of Books. The glimpses Lancaster offers of Wells, Gernsback, Heinlein, the fourth Dimension and the Grandfather Paradox in his review lead me to expect great things of the actual book, which I have added to my Christmas list.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2016/11/24/can-we-escape-from-time-james-gleick/

The second an article called Universe Collecting: the art of reading and buying science fiction by Joshua Sky from Omni Nov. 7, 2016. I found this article very engaging, Joshua obviously shares both my enjoyment of the SF short story

" Lately, I’ve tried to cut down the amount of time I spend on the internet, reading instead. It's been rewarding. My writing and critical thinking have improved, and I find the activity meditative.  I try to read at least one short story every night before bed.  I believe short fiction is having a comeback, because of the brevity of the format, coupled with the depth and quality obtainable within just a few pages. "

and the book as physical object

" I tried to do the E-Reader thing, and I enjoy the conveniences of reading on a Kindle and iPad, but it's just not the same. I see books as individual pieces of artwork. The layout, the cover art, the joy of physically holding the text when the pages have you enthralled in its story, all have its own individual and irreplaceable value. Also, it's far easier to flip and find random passages, or chapters than trying to swipe left-or-right on a screen. Further, as my life stands, I'm tired of staring at screens, the written page is a delightful respite. "

https://omni.media/universe-collecting

Hopefully you will enjoy these links as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment