" In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again"

Arthur C. Clarke Against the Fall of Night

Monday, November 12, 2018

New Arrivals - Badger Books, Lion Books, Harlequin


We have just returned from two weeks in Saskatoon. Helen's family lived near Westgate Books, so I visited it several times. I found their science fiction section uninspired with nothing terribly old and no magazines. The last time I almost literally bumped into the owner as he came out of the back room. He asked what I was looking for and when I asked about Analogs he said we might have a few, went to the front and put two file books labeled collectable SF on a stand. I had assumed the boxes where books waiting to be sorted. But they were not, they were the good stuff. A number of interesting items had to be returned to the box as I tried to rein in my spending a bit. I still failed.

Westgate has an interesting history which is related here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/westgate-books-owner-donates-entire-collection-to-employee-1.3046878

Someone obviously liked Fritz Leiber as there were a number of his titles. I loved the Jack Gaughan cover and it also contained the first appearance of Niven's Louis Wu character. 

A lovely cover by Russell FitzGerald for Patrick Meadows "Pater One Pater Two". A review of "Barbarella" by Samuel Delany and "The Cave" by Yevgeny Zamyatin


Who doesn't like a domed city, cover by Frank R. Paul for his conception of "Glass City on Europa". It also contained "The Revolt of the Pedestrians" by David H. Keller, a very old fashioned vibe for 1966.


I am always on the lookout for Harlequin SF as they began in Winnipeg Manitoba. Cover by Friede?

 

I became interested in Badger books after following the unsubscribedblog's Badger Book on Sunday, posts. The cover is by Ed Emshwiller and as is not uncommon with some British SF, the image has appeared elsewhere.

https://unsubscribedblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/05/a-badger-book-on-sunday-with-the-reverend-r-l-fanthorpe-chapter-24/

   
I have never seen a title by Lion Books before, if anyone has any information on them I would love to know more. The Haploids (1953) cover is by Rafael DeSoto.


My initial thought was that this was a Badger Book, Pel Torro is one of their house names and the unattributed cover's style is similar. But this title was released by Tower Books and ISFDB did not indicate a Badger Book edition.


Four Square Books (1961) cover unattributed.
   

Cover by Vincent Di Fate.

 
More Leiber, R cover by John Schoenherr L cover by Jack Gaughan
 
The unsubscribed blog also posted some lovely images of the wrap around covers done by 
Chris Yates for titles by E.C. Tubb.

https://unsubscribedblog.wordpress.com/2016/01/20/three-chris-yates-wraparounds/

 
Two covers by Robert Foster that I was looking for.

2 comments:

  1. A great selection of covers!

    Especially jealous of the Paul cover for Amazing -- unfortunately the Brunner novel within its pages is a pile of crud.

    The Burning is an intriguing Gunn "novel" -- I reviewed it many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joachim

    I was quite happy with the range of material I was able to get. Early Canadian SF, the odd publishers like Badger and Lion Books, and the 1970's covers by Yates and Foster. Thanks for commenting.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete