" In this universe the night was falling; the shadows were lengthening towards an east that would not know another dawn. But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning lingered; and along the path he once had followed, Man would one day go again"

Arthur C. Clarke Against the Fall of Night

Wednesday, June 24, 2020

New Arrivals, Philip K. Dick and Ian Miller



I am cheating here the only recent arrival is Dick's Galactic Pot-Healer. I got The Art of Ian Miller, Titan Books, a couple of months ago. I have had A Maze of Death for years. But it's a theme. I love Ian Miller's covers. I have to say I would have liked to have seen more of the work he did for the paperback editions of Bradbury and Lovecraft in The Art of Ian Miller, but I understand that was only one aspect of his career. I love Dick and have a weakness for the many cover iterations the various paperback editions of his work have undergone. I also have to confess to enjoying his less-heralded early work Ace Double warts and all. The unsubscriber has lovely photos of some of Miller's wraparound covers, as well as a post on Philip K. Dick's paperbacks that I can recommend. I have been posting more on my HPL blog lately but I will try to pick up the pace here. I hope everyone is doing well. Guy

https://unsubscribedblog.wordpress.com/2014/11/18/wraparound-cover-1/

https://unsubscribedblog.wordpress.com/2014/08/06/off-the-shelf-1-philip-k-dick/


2 comments:

  1. Ian Miller is a truly original artist. I wish I owned more volumes with his covers.... nice finds!

    And A Maze of Death is on the short list of SF novels I want to reread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Joachim.

    I used to read a lot of Dick, including biographies and criticism, but I have not read much of his work in years. I need to do a deep dive into his work because I find him an interesting and intriguing writer.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete